Do you love all things natural? Do you adore the nubby, textural look and feel of wool and cotton sweaters and wish you could have the same on your floors? You can with wool carpet, and particularly with sisal-inspired designs in a flatweave construction.
To make the case, here are four styles from Design Materials, Inc., also known as DMI floor coverings.
What is a Flatweave Carpet Construction?
First things first: what is a flatweave carpet?
According to The Spruce,
"A flatweave is any rug that is constructed without including any knots at all. Instead, the parallel running fibers that comprise the length of the rug (warp) and those that run along the width (
The article details several benefits of flatweave carpet and rugs, including that they,
"... can provide a perfect option in places where other rugs may not work as well. The simple construction and low profile of these rugs make them very durable and far more resistant to normal foot traffic than other, more delicate, rug types. They're also far easier to clean so that when accidents do happen, the results are less likely to be permanent."
They also look terrific in a home.
Introducing Four Wool Flatweave Carpet Styles
The four nubby, textural wool carpet styles from DMI that I want to introduce to you are all naturally dyed in five colors:
- Austere, a tonal, textured diamond pattern
- Ebbtides, a tonal, textured herringbone pattern
- Petra, a nubby, slightly-contrasting zigzag pattern
- Sparta, a nubby, slightly-contrasting diamond pattern
All four styles come in 13'2" in width. And, all are ideal for custom rugs, runners as well as in wall-to-wall installations.
Austere Wool Carpet
Austere comes in colors Davenport, Ambrosia, Satin, Lighthouse and Sierra. This tonal, textural carpet style has a sisal look and feel.
The image below shows you a close up of the pattern in color Sierra.
Ebbtides Wool Carpet
Ebbtides comes in the same colors as Austere: Davenport, Ambrosia, Satin, Lighthouse and Sierra. This style also features a sisal look and feel.
As you can see from the closeup below, the pattern is subtle yet textural.
Petra Wool Carpet
Petra captures that nubby sweater look and feel. This style comes in colors Flora, Nebula Grey, Aurora, Juno Brown and Quarry.
From the closeup image below of Nebula Grey, you see that another color tone creates the zigzag pattern of this flatweave carpet.
Sparta Wool Carpet
Sparta comes in the same colors as Petra does: Flora, Nebula Grey, Sparta, Juno Brown and Quarry.
As with Petra, the nubby diamond carpet pattern comes from that other darker color tone. This is color Nebula Grey.
HOW TO CARE FOR DMI Wool Carpet
As with any flooring investment, you'll want to care for your wool carpet, so it retains its beauty for years to come. Here are some tips.
- Vacuum regularly. Don't let anyone tell you that vacuuming will hurt your carpet or rug. The more you vacuum, the better.
- Remove spills immediately.
- Professionally clean your carpet. We recommend doing so a minimum of every 24 months or more often if needed. Do not apply stain repellent treatments that contain silicone because they tend to accelerate carpet soiling.
- Use doormats and keep them clean. Exercise preventative maintenance by placing absorbent mats at the most frequently used entrances to your office. Change or launder when these mats become soiled.
We recommend the Wool of New Zealand's carpet cleaning kit.
You'll find more advice and guidance in this article: Top Flooring Maintenance Tips for Carpet and Hardwood.
Experience Nubby, Natural Flatweave Wool Carpet For Yourself!
Let us know of any questions in the comments or contact us.
Thanks for reading,